Sexuality in diverse society Controversial Issues Paper
Example Topic Choices:
Extra marital sex is not damaging to a marriage; The internet is a good place to find a romantic partner; A child-free marriage is an option more couples should choose; Not allowing homosexual marriage is a form of discrimination; The emotional and financial cost of infertility treatments outweigh the benefits; Adoption is a better choice than conception for having a family; Marrying outside race/culture will strengthen the relationship; Treating your partner as a equal is essential for a healthy relationship; Living together is a better choice than marriage; The emotional and financial cost of divorce make it a poor choice; Extended premarital counseling should be required before marriage; Long term homosexual relationships are stronger than heterosexual relationships; The media has little impact on body image and sexual behavior; Parenting is a complex task that requires formal training and education; Sex education by parents and schools is needed for sexual health of all; Colleges and universities do not do enough to prevent acquaintance rape; Arranged marriages are stronger than love marriages; Contraception should be included in all insurance plan with no copay. Communicating electronically in a relationship-healthy or unhealthy?
· Choose a controversial topic in sexuality about which you would enjoy reading, researching and learning. Consider examining a topic that is either personally or professionally of interest. Examples are included at the TOP of this spec sheet.
· Using scholarly, in-depth, current articles as explained below, students will write a thought-provoking, well-organized paper. The paper will be divided into 5 sections: short introduction, detailed discussion supporting the issue (pro), detailed discussion arguing against the issue (con); your opinion based upon your reading; and short conclusion. Include an international or local view in either or both the pro and the con section—in other words, is your topic a local issue or is it one of global wide spread? You don’t need a lot of elaboration here, just an understanding if it’s a cultural issue or more of a human condition issue. Label each section.
· You must use scholarly sources as support in your paper. If you use articles from unreliable sources—Men’s Health, the Baltimore Sun, Time Magazine, .com websites, etc. –you will fail the project. Supporting information must come from current, credible, relevant sources. In our site’s menu, I have attached the HEALTH Research Course Gateway that links you to many excellent scholarly and professional journals and appropriate websites. Please use these sources to support your paper sections. You must use APA in-text and reference page citations.
· Both the Pro and Con sections each needs to include 2 scholarly sources—for a total of 4 APA-approved sources.
This assignment will assess your ability to access and retrieve the most current, credible and relevant data using electronic databases to support both sides of the issue you choose. You are researching articles and data bases to find information (stats, studies, expert testimony) that support your view (pro or con) of the controversial topic and again as support for the opposing view that you are researching and discussing.
Paper Format: double-spacing; font: Times New Roman (12 point); margins at 1 inch. Please include your name. Your APA reference information will be on a separate page just after your summary. Suggested length of paper= 5-6 pages. Sections of paper-Label all 5 sections as such: Introduction; Pro/ for view; Against/con view; Your opinion; Conclusion. YOU MUST LABEL EACH SECTION.
RUBRIC 45 points
Title of Paper_________________________________ Name_____________________
Carter-Scoring guide Controversial Issues paper
Excellent Good OK Needs Unacceptable
1. Interesting, and current, 5 4 3 2 1 0
2. Each section is fully 5 4 3 2 1 0
developed & includes logical,
well organized information
3. Pro/con sections include 5 4 3 2 1 0
an international or regional
4. Supporting information was 5 4 3 2 1 0
From APA approved scholarly sources
5. Shows in-depth understanding 5 4 3 2 1 0
of the issue
6. Information fully documented 5 4 3 2 1 0
in the body of the paper
7. Each Pro/Con section has 2 references 5 4 3 2 1 0
8. Sources cited in text match reference page 5 4 3 2 1 0
and APA style correctly
used and sources on reference fully listed
9. Well written paper-flows well & 5 4 3 2 1 0
uses proper grammar, spelling & punctuation